Thursday, November 13, 2008

What we've been up to...

I believe that I neglected to post several items of interest for our family last month. And so this is more for my records than anything else. The weekend after our trip to Disneyland we had an opportunity to drive back down to Utah to partake in several family activities. Barrett actually had his 10th missionary reunion, but I think it was only the second one he's been able to attend as they generally take place on General Conference weekend which is always drill weekend. We missed most of the festivities of the evening, but got there for some good grub and lots of visiting. We were able to spend both Friday and Saturday night with my Gram and Bill, which is always fun and not to mention, delicious! Saturday morning we got up and drove out to Tooele for Max Wolfe's baptism and confirmation and spent most of the day at the Wolfe's home having a wonderful time! Sunday morning were able to attend Brad and Callie's ward in Salt Lake and witness Ainsley's blessing. We attended all 3 hours then went to Brad's place for some yummy dinner!! It was a fantastic, busy weekend and were only surprised with some crazy, snowy weather. We are so lucky to be a part of such a fabulous family! Later that week I made an appointment to take Anson and Eden to the doctor to have their tonsils/adenoids checked-sure enough they both needed them removed. Eden I was not surprised about, but Anson's came as a bit of a shock. We scheduled their surgery for the earliest time possible, 6 weeks out. The rest of October was real fun. Fast forward to last week. Got a phone call from the Drs office saying they could be moved up a week due to cancellation so I jumped on it. Tuesday November 4 we woke up early, too early because they couldn't eat anything before. Just kept trying to console them with the fact that they could live off of ice cream, popsicles, pudding, yogurt, etc..for the next couple weeks. Luckily this seemed to tide them over. We met my mom at surgery center and settled in for our wait. Bo got to hang out at home with Gpa Botkin-thanks Dad! By the time we were taken back Anson was pretty agitated, surely having some flashbacks from his dental surgery in August. Just on a fun side note, both kids had to be weighed and they came in weighing the exact same thing; 40.6 lbs. crazy, eh? The nurses were great, stocked with lots of activities and toys for the kids to play with and then they came and wisked Eden away. They gave her a crown to wear first and she was thrilled. 15-20 minutes later the Dr popped her head in and said things went great and it would soon be Anson's turn. They came for Anson, who was not so happy, and I was gathering up some things to go back out into the waiting room when a fire alarm went off. Yikes...Where were my kids? do they have a secret safe bunker for patients? A bit of a scare for me. Mom and I waited outside in her car for about 10-15 minutes and then got to go back in. I was taken back immediately to find that both kids were just fine, Eden was beginning to wake up and wasn't terribly happy and Anson was on his way back to recovery. The Dr. had learned that the alarm had been pulled by a child (luckily not one of mine)and since Anson had just been put under she decided to continue with the surgery. Gma Wood consoled Eden and I went in to be with Anson who was clearly unhappy. He finally settled down long enoung for us to get dismissed and we were outta there. It has now been about 10 days and things have been,thankfully, uneventful compared to what I expected. Never having been through this before I didn't know quite what to expect, maybe lots of throw-up and blood, but so far none of either. Just a whole lot of wanting to cuddle and be comforted, lots of medicine, buckets of juice and hours and hours of disney movies. I think we are headed for the clearing now and I am so glad. Hopefully nothing unexpected in the next few days. Unfortunately Barrett had parent/teacher conferences all day Wed and Thurs and Fri & Sat he had a German immersion weekend in Donnelly so he missed out on lots of the excitement, I guess I'll let him get the next post op patient...I did get to go and vote on the 4th, (for all the good it did)though I am thankful to have the opportunity to vote as I feel, and I did manage to produce (with lots of help) my first primary program-very stressful for me, it turned out well but I'm sure glad I don't have to worry about that again for a few months. Unfortunately my mom's surgery/recovery was going on during all this so I have not been able to help or comfort her at all. In fact, the very opposite, she has been a huge help, all the family has, but she especially. I know she is exhausted, but is still willing to come and take a kid or two for a couple hours to give me a little reprive. I don't know how to possibly repay her, I just want her to know how incredibly grateful I am to have her in my life. I love you, Mom! She starts her iodine treatment today and will be radioactive for a few days so she took me, Stacie and Michelle to the dollar theatre last night and we saw Momma Mia-her 5th time, my 2nd and the other's first time. We had lots of fun! Plus, it was so fantastic to get out of the house and away from the "cling-ons" for a few hours-thanks Gpa Wood for watching them all as Barrett had scouts. Anyway, I guess that's all for now. Sorry for the long post, but this is my life in a nutshell right now!!!

10 comments:

The Patty Cake House said...

I love hearing about your life! LOVE IT!!! I'm so glad Eden and Anson did well with their surgeries.

Jake, Jana, Jack and Jess said...

Kendra! It was fun to see you at the movie last night. :) We should keep in contact. My Blog is http://www.claushaus.blogspot.com

It's a Wonderful Life said...

Kendra
this is Angie! How fun to hear from you. I did make Lylas bee costume, it was lots of fun! Your family is beautiful! I am glad everyone is doing well! How are things

Barney Blah...g said...

Wow, when it rains it pours, or so it seems. I love to read all about you and the family. I agree about your mom and am also thankful for her. Keep us up on all the news, it is fun for us to read about it all even though some of it may seem mundane to you. Love you!

Shellee said...

kendra,
It was good to hear from you. Stacy is here in columbus. I would give you her email but I don't have her new one. She got married last dec and her hubby is in his 3rd year of med school. I really like him and they are good together. I will give you her email when I get it. Your family is super cute and getting really big.

EmHy said...

Wow wee you are one busy woman. I am glad that your kids recovered so quickly and you did all of that with a sick mom, no mother-in-law, and a MIA husband. Way to be, you make me tired though.

Sarah said...

Hi Kendra! I'm very new to the blogging world, but I'm discovering it's a great way to keep in touch. So good to see pics of your family. I feel so bad that I totally spaced out your kids' operations! Ugh! We need to get together! :)

Bethany said...

Am I just clueless. I think I even talked to you on the phone a couple of times and had no idea what was going on. Way to be a trooper. You're amazing!

Jamie said...

Kendra Jo!!!! I am so glad you found your way to my blog so I could find my way to yours :) I love it! Your kids are soooo cute. I could kiss his cheeks!!!

Peggy said...

Hey--it's Peggy Z an old Kuna High friend. I just have to thank you for clarifying something for me! I was at Costco AGES ago and swore I saw Brad. I was poking my husband and saying "I SWEAR that is Brad Bishop. It has to be!" So he DOES live around here! I'm happy to know I'm not (too)insane. ;o)Stop and see us on your way home the next time you come to Utah. Tell Kim and Mike I said hi!