Friday, February 22, 2008

Pancakes anybody?




After Anson's speech and occupational therapies on Tuesday afternoon we went home and I was thinking about what to fix for dinner (it was around 3:30pm). This is the conversation that took place between Anson and myself around the dining table:

Anson: I want snack please! (he's so polite)

Me: What would you like?

Anson: I want pancakes please

Me: Sorry, sunshine, the pancakes are all gone (we had them for breakfast on Sunday)

Anson: The mommy makes pancakes?

Me: Not tonight, how about tomorrow morning

Anson: The boy(this is how he refers to himself these days) cooks the pancakes?

Was he serious? could he possibly want to come into the kitchen and do this? I have been waiting for one of my children to want to help in the meal prep. Possible dream come true?

Me: Okay, Anson, let's make some pancakes.

His eyes lit up and he came in and wanted to sit on the counter. I measured and he poured (all 3) ingredients-we used bisquick. He stirred, he scooped the batter, poured the batter onto the griddle-reminding me numerous times that it was hot. He even flipped the hot cakes. Needless to say, I was in awe. I was so happy and proud I was practically bawling. He put the pancakes on a plate, jumped down off the counter got a bowl and fork, waited patiently for the syrup and then he devoured them. He ate 5 and left 1 each for Bo and Eden. It was one of my very favorite experiences ever as a mom. I was so engrossed in the whole episode that I didn't get any pictures taken, but lucky for me (and you) he wanted to do it again the next day, and the next day and even this morning. I did manage to get some pictures the second time around, they aren't the best, but you get the drift. His IBI therapist, Amanda, is in the background watching. She told me what I had already assumed-this is so not typical of children with autism. Anson is my hero-I love you little man!

p.s. maybe Anson and Evan can open up their own restaurant some day?


5 comments:

Jim and Katie said...

That made me tear up a little. That is so awesome! He has come so far. Thanks for sharing!!

Nick and Sabrina Zurcher said...

That is awesome! I can tell by your comments how much this meant to you, and that makes me happy! You are a great mom. Whenever I see you with your kids ( which isn't that often I know) I think... wow she is a really good mom.

Lori said...

Okay, you made me cry. It's moments like those that make all the hard times worth it. Love you guys! Lori

Bethany said...

Way to go Kendra, making all the ladies cry. I got all choked up. What a wonderful moment for you. I'm so proud of you Anson. I think opening a restaurant with Evan is a fabulous idea. They could specialize in scrambled eggs (Evan's specialty) and pancakes. You handle everything so beautifully!

Rae Jean said...

Wow Kendra! I started crying...the Munson in me! You're an incredible mom...with a wonderful heart. Thank you for sharing this experience with us! Love you!